Wednesday 2 December 2009

Bolt Clock


This piece was inspired by my time spent in bike workshops in Rome. An underworld in a car domininated city where one digs through nuts, bolts, spanners, bent bike rims, various gears and various bike components to create something personal. Usually astrange bike. In this case a clock!
I liked the creative and stylised aspect of the bike workshops (in rome "ciclofficine") but
in many of these places the very bike components seem to be part of culture which are used almost as a flag to distinguish cyclists from the others (automobilists). I prefer to find things in common with people that are different than me. Differences between people shouldn't be a problem...they should be an excuse to communicate and understand. I don't have a car but i hope car drivers will see something in my work.
All the parts of this clock were recycled except for the 6mm bolts which form the roman numerals which i bought at the local hardware store. The rim is from a mountain bike and the centre gear is from a childs bike. The spanners which make the hands were cut in half and joined with bike spokes. The movement is quarz.

No comments:

Post a Comment